Monday 9 March 2009

Oakley Half Jackets save soldiers eyesight from projectile

TRUE LETTER TO OAKLEY HQ FROM FRONT LINE SOLDIER

To whom it may concern,

I'm writing to you today to express my profound gratitude to your company. I am currently a serving member of the Australian army, based in Townsville at the 2nd Battalion the Royal Australian Regiment. I have also only recently returned from an 8 month deployment in East Timor. While there, in late 2007 or early 2008, i cant remember when precisely, I order a pair of sunglasses from your website (Oakley Half Jackets). I must say I found the eyewear to be perfect for working in such a harsh environment, being robust and of high quality. One day, while on what is called QRF duty (acronym for quick reaction force), my platoon was called to respond to an incident where two opposing gangs, one from East Timor, and another from West Timor, were involved in a large and vicious fight. Having been in country for several months already, we were well aware of the dangers of attempting to disperse such a fight as it was not unheard of for the gangs to turn on us once we arrived. We also knew from experience that they used some very brutal weapons, the most common being a slingshot which fired metal darts between 3 and 6 inches long with a wicked barbed tip and the point ground to be razor sharp. These darts pack such force that they had previously punctured the metal exteriors of our Land Rover patrol vehicles. Upon arrival at the scene of the incident the majority of the crowd dispersed, under the cover of a group of men firing these darts at us to allow their mates to get away. Almost as soon as i got out of my vehicle it seemed there was a small explosion in front of my left eye, leaving me disoriented and with cuts to my cheek and eyebrow (thankfully only superficial). I looked down, realising that one of the lenses on my nearly brand new pair of Oakley sunglasses was broken, and saw a huge metal dart at my feet amongst the shattered remnants of my left sunglass lens. The lens from my Oakley Half Jackets had deflected the projectile, saving me from grievous injury. I have no doubt that had I been wearing a cheaper or lower quality pair of sunglasses The dart would have easily penetrated and lodged in my eye, without doubt leaving me blind at least, or possibly killing me. My mates saw what had happened and were so astounded by how lucky I had been that many of them ordered their very own pairs of Oakley sunglasses not long after.
I'd just like to say thankyou very much, and you should be proud of the excellent quality product you provide. I felt that it was important to share this story with you, just to let you know that people appreciate your good work. Being a soldier I rely heavily on every piece of gear and clothing i purchase, and I cant afford to spare any worry that a product may fail at a critical moment. With Oakley products, I am confident that they shall perform time after time.

Your Sincerely,
Private Heath Taylor

Buy Oakley Half Jacket XLJ here (in stock)


No comments:

Post a Comment